So my fabulous friend Sofia just did the 2014 end of year book survey from The Perpetual Page Turner! I really enjoyed reading her post (check it out here) so I thought I’d copy her (mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa) so here are my answers. I know this isn’t a tag so I can’t really tag people, but if you do it I’d love it if you’d tweet me or comment a link because I’m really interested to read other people’s surveys!
I’m sorry that I repeated myself a lot here :P
Number Of Books You Read: 49
Number of Re-Reads: I don’t count my re-reads, and I also don’t always re-read books from the beginning, I might start from the middle or just re-read chapters so I’m not really sure
Genre You Read The Most From: Probably a mix of dystopia and fantasy books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
‘Only Ever Yours‘ by Louise O’Neill (check out my review.) I go on and on and on about this book but it really is amazing and I won’t shut up until everyone has read it :D
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was incredibly excited to read Lauren Oliver’s new book, ‘Rooms‘, but I didn’t manage to read it because I’m finding it hard to read at the moment. However I haven’t read much of it so I may be judging it prematurely so I am determined to read and love it in 2015!
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
I had to read Bali Rai’s ‘Rani & Sukh‘ for school and I surprised myself by really enjoying it. I’m a bit sick of it now after reading it over and over, but it definitely surprised me in a pleasant way!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Well I unsuccessfully pushed pretty much everyone I know to read ‘Only Ever Yours‘, so I guess that doesn’t count! I also pushed everyone to read ‘The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender‘ and ‘Lobsters‘, but I don’t think anyone did. *Sob* No one listens to Priya *sob*.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series: Definitely the ‘Throne of Glass‘ series by Sarah J.Maas. I was a little late jumping onto the bandwagon, but damn I love this series so far!
Best sequel: ‘Crescendo‘, the sequel to ‘Hush, Hush’ was pretty darn amazing and it totally exceeded my expectations (which were already set fairly high)
Best series ender: ‘The One‘ by Kiera Cass was technically meant to be the series ender (before ‘The Heir’) was announced, so I’m saying it counts! That book was the perfect ending to my favourite trilogy and was definitely the best book of the series.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I’m so glad that I read ‘Cinder‘ by Marissa Meyer because I have now fallen in love with her Lunar Chronicles series and can’t wait to read ‘Cress’ and ‘Winter’ and the Lunar Chronicles novella this year!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Definitely ‘Crown of Midnignt‘! It was packed with epic fights and major plot twists and I was completely hooked throughout!
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Again, I’ll have to pick ‘Only Ever Yours‘ because it’s been 6 months since I read it and I need to get that amazing book back into my life.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
It’s a toss up between the two books below! I mean they’re both so beautiful!
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
I’ll have to agree with Sofia and say Celeana Sardothien from the ‘Throne of Glass’ series! Celeana is fabulous!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Definitely ‘The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender‘! That book was hauntingly beautiful and the writing style was very unique and different but I absolutely loved it.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Sorry, but I’ll have to say ‘Only Ever Yours‘ yet again! I think I worship that book! I promise I’ll try to talk less about it this year!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
I finally finished the Gallagher Girls series this year and I don’t know why I left it so late before I read ‘United We Spy‘! I started this series in 2009 so it’s been a long journey.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
Oh no! It’s a long one, so brace yourself! I had to type this all out myself!
“Once upon a time there was a king who had three beautiful daughters. He loved each of them dearly. One day when the young ladies were of age to be married, a terrible, three-headed dragon laid siege to the kingdom, burning villages with fiery breath. It spoiled crops and burned churches. It killed babies, old people and everyone in between.
The king promised a princess’s hand in marriage to whoever slayed the dragon. Heroes and warriors came in suits of armor, riding brave horses and bearing swords and arrows.
One by one, these men were slaughtered and eaten.
Finally the king reasoned that a maiden might melt the dragon’s heart and succeed where warriors had failed. He sent his eldest daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, but the dragon listened to not a word of her pleas. It swallowed her whole.
Then the king sent his second daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, but the dragon did the same. Swallowed her before she could get a word out.
The king then sent his youngest daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, and she was so lovely and clever that he was sure she would succeed where the others had perished.
No indeed. The dragon simply ate her.
The king was left aching with regret. He was now alone in the world.
Now, let me ask you this. Who killed the girls?
The dragon? Or their father?”
This is from ‘We Were Liars‘ by E.Lockhart.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
‘Clockwork Princess‘ was the longest and ‘The Boy in the Smoke‘ the shortest.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
‘The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender‘ definitely shocked me. There’s this one scene and just……
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I’m picking a non booky one because CAPTAIN SWAN FTW!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Probably Dane and Billy D from ‘Dead Ends‘! Their Relationship was very fresh and unique and I was glad to not have a relationship at the centre of the story!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
This year I read the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare and I thought they were much better than her Mortal Instruments series that I read last year!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Definitely ‘Pivot Point‘ by Kasie West! I picked it up purely because two people had told me it was amazing… and they weren’t lying!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Definitely Chaol from the ‘Throne of Glass‘ series. I’m always debating with Sofia about whether Dorian or Chaol is better but Chaol wins for me (but only by a fraction.)
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I’m sorry to mention it again, but ‘Only Ever Yours‘ is by far the best debut! I’M SORRY OKAY! I JUST LOVE THAT BOOK!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I really liked ‘Pivot Point‘ because of the unique world. For once we have a dystopian book not centred on revolution and tyranny so it was a welcome change!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I really loved ‘Lobsters‘ by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivision. I was laughing throughout that book, which is a rare occurance for me!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Reading ‘United We Spy‘ was a big deal for me because it was the end of an era! So when Liz did her speech at the end of the book… I was a sobbing wreck!
“The one thing I know for certain is this:
A Gallagher Girl is whatever the hell she wants to be
And most of all, she is my sister”
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
‘The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks‘ was a book that I didn’t expect to love, but it made it into my top 3 because it was just so good!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
‘If I Stay‘ destroyed me! The film was even worse! Especially because of my intense fear of being hit by a car! But it was such an amazing book so I forgive Gayle Foreman!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Definitely ‘The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender’! It was so different to anything I’ve ever read!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
‘Four‘ by Veronica Roth made me very angry with Marcus Eaton! I want to murder that horrible man!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I don’t really read specific blogs, I mainly read random blog posts! But I’m hoping to discover some new bookish blogs in 2015!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
I’m really proud of my review of ‘Lobsters’ by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivision. It felt really natural to write!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I loved making my Bookish Academy Awards Tag! It was so fun to do.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
My favourite event was probably the ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ fanparty because I got to hang out with some of my favourite people and WE FINALLY WON A QUIZ!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Interviewing Lauren Oliver for my blog because she is an amazing writer and was so lovely and interesting to talk to!
6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
It’s surprisingly my post called “Why you should read ‘Solitaire’ by Alice Oseman”
7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I put a lot of effort into my Disney Princess Book Tag but i think it has been neglected by the readers!
8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I’ve always loved the Birmingham High Street Waterstones and the kids & YA department, however in 2014 I got to know the people who work there and went to a ton of events which really made my year!
9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Well actually I did manage to complete my Goodreads 2014 reading challenge!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I agree with Sofia on this one, I must read ‘The Bone Season‘!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
This is a hard question because I’ve been alienating myself from the world of books, review and booktube because I’ve been so busy with my mocks! ‘The Red Queen‘ by Victoria Aveyard looks promising, so I’m going for that one!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
I guess I’ll have to say ‘Winter‘ by Marissa Meyer!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Review at east 1/3 of the books that I read!
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
*Sniff* I haven’t read any proof books since January, but I think ‘Only Ever Yours‘ may be coming out in the US in 2015 so READ IT MY AMERICAN FRIENDS BECAUSE THAT BOOK IS FAB-U-LOUS!