So today I finally sat down and watched The Grinch. People are always shocked when I admit I haven’t seen it, so I gave it a go and I am glad I did! I thought I’d do “The Grinch Book Tag today” to celebrate that I watched it.
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill
I got ‘Matched‘ by Ally Condie for Christmas one year and I absolutely adored it, so I waited excitedly for the release of the sequel, ‘Crossed’. ‘Crossed’ was a perfectly respectable book, but it was nothing compared to ‘Matched’. I had high hopes that the final book, ‘Reached’ would save the day, but it was miserably disappointing and I really hated it! BOO
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away
I don’t really persevere with books if I don’t like them, so there aren’t many books that I’ve read that I really disliked. However I often suffer the reverse of this, when I love a book but everyone else hates it. For example I loved ‘Little Women‘ when I read it in Primary school, but most people I know who have read it really hate it and think it’s boring!
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
The first character that came to mind for this was my darling Neville Longbottom. Whether it’s forgetting the common room password or messing up in a lesson, poor Neville seems to mess a lot up! But don’t worry Neville, I love you anyway!
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for
I’m usually quite good at avoiding spoilers. I guess the only books I’ve really been spoiled for are ones where I committed the deadly sin of watching the film first *gasp*! Sorry ‘Lord of the Rings‘ and ‘The Hobbit’
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with
When reading ‘Divergent’ and ‘Insurgent’ by Veronica Roth, I felt very little connection to the protagonist, Tris. A lot of fans really love Tris and I came to love her in the conclusion to the trilogy, ‘Allegiant’, but I don’t know why I felt so detached from her in the first books.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand
So, I go on about Maxerica (Maxon and America from ‘The Selection’) a LOT! The only thing standing in the way of my ship is Aspen! America and Maxon are perfect for each other, which is why I get so angry every time she runs off to Aspen!
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : name some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of
There are a lot of books on my shelf that I have neglected. Some of them I started a long time ago but never finished like:
- The Help
- The Hobbit
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
This is really hard because I don’t get mad at many deaths. Sure I get upset but mostly I understand why that character was killed off. However there was a certain death at the end of ‘Titanic’, which I can’t really spoil because I’m sure everyone knows already! THERE WAS SPACE FOR JACK ROSE! HE DIDN’T HAVE TO DIE
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long
So ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events‘ has 13 books (I think). As the series went on, I liked the books less and less (though there were a couple of exceptions e.g ‘The Austere Academy’.) Sorry Lemony Snicket, your books are great, but I’d prefer it if there weren’t so many! I remember the first 5 very vividly and I don’t recall much about the other 8 books!
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villains again!)
I originally loved Tally from ‘Uglies’, but over the course of the series I started to hate her! She’s whiny, not capable of doing much and her love life just angered me! Damn you Tally-Wa!
- Day 1: “All I want for Christmas” Book Tag
- Day 2: 2014 Top 10
- Day 3: The Grinch Book Tag
- Day 4: 2015 Releases
- Day 5: The Christmas Song Book Tag
- Day 6: Hogwarts in the Snow
- Day 7: “Tis the Season” Book Tag